What is Medicare?
Medicare is health insurance for the following:
- People under 65 with certain disabilities
- People of any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant)
The Different Parts of Medicare
The different parts of Medicare help cover specific services:
- Helps cover inpatient care in hospitals
- Helps cover skilled nursing facility, hospice, and home health care
- Helps cover doctors' and other health care providers' services, outpatient care, durable medical equipment, and home health care
- Helps cover some preventive services to help maitain your health and to keep certain illnesses from getting worse
- Offers health plan options run by Medicare-approved private insurance companies. Medicare Advantage Plans are a way to get the benefits and services covered under Part A and Part B. Most Medicare Advantage Plans cover Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D). Some Medicare Advantage Plans may include extra benefits for an extra cost.
- Helps cover the cost of prescription drugs
- May help lower your prescription drug cost and help protect against higher costs
- Run by Medicare-approved private insurance companies